Insurance claims

Insurance law and insurance disputes

If you have had an insurance claim rejected, your benefits have not been paid in full, or if you’re having difficulty with your insurer, Maurice Blackburn can help.

We have the largest insurance claims legal department in Australia and we’re experts in fighting for people so they receive all their illness, accident and unforeseen occurrence benefits when they make an insurance claim.

We can also help if you have a general insurance dispute, such as a house insurance issue. Our insurance lawyers have represented clients with flood, mould and building insurance disputes and helped clients with travel insurance disputes.

When it comes time to file an insurance claim, people sometimes get a shock when the insurer relies on the small print to knock back their claim. But whatever type of claim you need to make, our expert insurance lawyers can assist you at every step to get you the outcome you deserve—so get in touch today to find out what we can do for you.

Why Maurice Blackburn?

Maurice Blackburn's insurance claim lawyers are experts in the field, and we understand the importance of having someone in your corner when you're taking on a well-resourced insurance company.

We offer 'no win, no fee'* arrangements for these types of cases, which means that you don’t have to pay for our legal services if we don't win.

We have offices in MelbourneSydneyBrisbanePerthAdelaideDarwin and throughout Australia. Contact us today to find out how we can help.

Kim Shaw

Executive Director, National Head of Personal Legal Services, Melbourne

'I am passionate about helping people know their rights and ensure they receive their lawful entitlements at a time of significant disruption and anxiety in their lives.'

Frequently Asked Questions

What papers should I lodge with my claim?

You will have to lodge a claim form and a list of the items lost or damaged. Depending on the type of the insurance, you will also have to file medical reports, employer statements, details of lost items and tax documents.

How long will my claim take?

Insurance claims vary depending on their complexity and the type of claim.

Travel, business, motor vehicle and home insurance take 1-3 months on average.

Income protection, trauma and sickness and accident claims take 2-3 months and TPD claims usually take 6-12 months.

Do I have to use the insurer's motor vehicle repairer?

Only if the policy says you must.

Will I have to go to insurance doctors?

Maybe one or two.

Will my income protection payments be affected if I go back to work?

Most likely, but you might still be entitled to partial disability payments if you return part time.

Can I complain to the insurer?

Yes. You can lodge an internal complaint and the insurer has 45 days to make a decision. If the complaint is to a super fund, they have 90 days. We can help you with complaints.

Can I appeal to a court or tribunal?

Yes. You can lodge a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS), the Superannuation Complaints Tribunal (SCT), or you can take your case to court. We can help you with FOS, SCT and court cases.

No win, no fee*

Our insurance claim lawyers are experienced in winning fair compensation for our clients on a no win, no fee basis.

Our fees and agreements

It doesn’t cost you anything to know where you stand

Can we help?
Find an office near you
Your local office

Let us contact you

It doesn’t cost you anything to know where you stand

We take calls 24/7

Call us now
1800 305 568

Free Call

Find an office near you
Your local office

Let us contact you