Man wearing construction clothing and a bag pack sling

CTP claim

Lodge a CTP claim

Getting injured on the road can feel extremely unfair. If you have been hurt as the result of a motor vehicle or road accident - you have the right to claim for your injuries, particularly if this injury affects your daily life or ability to work.

Compulsory Third Party (CTP) claims are designed to protect you in case you are injured on the road, and the accident was the partial or total fault of another driver or vehicle. You’re covered even if you’re a passenger in the at-fault vehicle.

Maurice Blackburn's dedicated CTP claims lawyers can fight for you. Our lawyers understand every aspect of CTP law and the car accident legal system and know how to get you everything you're entitled to.

Why Maurice Blackburn?

Maurice Blackburn is a national firm with the resources and dedication needed to achieve the best possible outcome for your CTP claim.

We offer 'no win, no fee'* arrangements for these types of personal injury claims, which means that you don’t have to pay for our legal services if your case is not successful. We have personal injury lawyers in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Darwin and throughout Australia.  Contact us today to find out how we can help.

All you need to know about Road injury claims

If you’re injured in a road or public transport accident involving a car, bus, truck, train, tram, motorcycle, scooter or bicycle, we’ll show you how to navigate your way through a road injury claim.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I make a CTP claim for my road and car accident?

If you've been injured on the road you could be entitled to make a CTP compensation claim, no matter who's at fault. Your claim will depend on the state or territory in which the accident occurred.

Our dedicated team of CTP claim lawyers can help you make a compensation claim, whether you're a car, truck driver or motorcycle driver, passenger, cyclist, pedestrian or public transport manager.

Do I have a CTP insurance claim?

Car accident injuries are covered by CTP insurance, which is included in the cost of vehicle registration. The compensation and benefits you are entitled to can vary greatly depending on your location and on the circumstances leading to your injury.

If you have been hurt as the result of a motor vehicle or road accident, Maurice Blackburn's CTP claim lawyers will help to ease your burden during these difficult times and guide you through your CTP claims process.

What types of road and car accidents are covered by CTP claims in my state?

The state or territory your CTP claim will be made depends on where the accident happened and the state in which your vehicle is registered.

It is important you talk to a car accident lawyer to find out your rights and entitlements before you make a claim as each state and territory has different laws and road accident schemes.

What compensation and benefits am I entitled to under my CTP claim?

Your ability to claim CTP payments including medical, loss of income payments and lump sum payments can vary greatly depending on the state in which the road accident occurred.

In some states you may have common law rights to sue the person who caused the accident.

CTP claims may cover:

  •    pain and suffering
  •    past and future medical expenses
  •    past loss of earnings
  •    future loss of earnings or loss of earning capacity
  •    past and future loss of superannuation contributions

Strict time limits apply that vary in each state.

What expenses can I claim for under my CTP claim?

If you are eligible for a CTP payout, you are likely covered for:

  • medical and hospital (including pharmacy and counselling)
  • rehabilitation
  • nursing and disability services
  • post-acute support services
  • expenses arising from a death including funeral costs.

In some states all 'reasonable' expenses associated with your injury can be claimed, such as:

  • travel to and from medical appointments
  • returning to work or retraining
  • home and vehicle modifications
  • attendant care services, including attendant care while travelling overseas
  • home help, domestic assistance, gardening services, school tutoring and integration aides

Are there time limits for making a CTP claim?

Time limits vary depending on the state your claim is in, whether the injured is an adult or a child, and who is at fault.

In some cases you may have as little as 28 days from the date of the accident to lodge your initial claim, while in other states you may have up to a year with a possible extension of up to three years. It's important you talk to a motor vehicle accident lawyer as soon as possible after your accident.

Are CTP claims allowed for public transport accident injuries?

You may be able to make a claim for injuries that occurred while travelling on public transport, or if you are in a vehicle accident with a public transport vehicle. Laws vary between states; our dedicated team of road accident lawyers will show you how to navigate your way through a road injury claim.

How do I make a Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance claim?

Regardless of the severity of the accident and injury, your first step will usually be to lodge a compensation claim. The process differs around Australia, and Maurice Blackburn Lawyers will be able to advise you as to this process, but generally it involves:

  • Reporting the accident to the police (if you haven't already done this, we can submit the report for you).
  • Filling out and submitting a claim form. Depending on the State you are in, this could involve filling out and submitting a Notice of Accident Claim Form with the CTP insurer of the vehicle at fault.
  • Providing a special medical certificate with your claim, which should be completed by your own doctor if possible.

We can guide you through all these steps and make sure you're aware of any complexities that may arise during the process. Contact us today for more information, or for assistance with making a claim.

How much will making a CTP claim cost me?

Our CTP Claim lawyers are experienced in winning fair compensation for our clients on a 'no win, no fee'* basis. Come in for a free first consultation to know where you stand.

No win, no fee*

Our car accident lawyers are experienced in winning fair compensation for our clients on a no win, no fee basis.

Our fees and agreements

It doesn’t cost you anything to know where you stand

Can we help?
Find an office near you
Your local office

Let us contact you

It doesn’t cost you anything to know where you stand

We take calls 24/7

Call us now
1800 305 568

Free Call

Find an office near you
Your local office

Let us contact you