Work injury compensation lawyers in Queensland

What to do if you've been injured at work in Queensland

If you've had an accident while working or if your health and wellbeing have been affected in the workplace, you may be eligible to make a claim for workers' compensation. This applies to workers who have sustained injuries at—or as a result of—their job and includes any pre-existing injuries, illnesses or diseases that are worsened by the workplace.

At Maurice Blackburn, we know that claiming workers' compensation can be a complicated and involved process. That's why we have a team of lawyers that specialise in WorkCover and workplace injury claims who can help you.

When can you claim workers' compensation?

You may be able to claim workers' compensation if:

  • you've had an accident at or as a result of work (which may include injuries sustained during a recess, such as lunchtime or morning and afternoon breaks)
  • your health and wellbeing have been affected in the workplace
  • a pre-existing injury or illness worsens in the workplace.

Workers' compensation covers reasonable expenses including medical, personal, occupational and rehabilitation expenses—and potentially more.

Why Maurice Blackburn?

We understand that claiming workers' compensation can be a complicated and involved process—especially when you're sick or injured. Our team specialises in these claims, so they are familiar with what you're going through and understand your needs. It's our mission to ensure you get your full compensation payout to help you get back to being you as soon as possible.

We are a national firm with Queensland offices in Brisbane, Browns Plains, Caboolture, Cairns, Gold Coast, Ipswich, Mackay, Rockhampton, Strathpine, Sunshine Coast, Toowoomba, Townsville, and throughout Australia.

Our costs

We provide our services on a 'no win, no fee'* basis. This means that you will only pay our legal fees if you receive a settlement or compensation. You would not be charged our fees if the claim is not pursued after investigation.

Frequently Asked Questions

When can I claim workers' compensation?

If you suffer from an injury, illness or disease as a result of—or in the course of—your employment, you can claim workers' compensation.

What types of workers are covered by workers' compensation?

Workers' compensation schemes cover injured workers, including part-time workers, casual workers and in many circumstances subcontractors such as owner/drivers and agency nurses.

If you are an injured Commonwealth Government employee, or an injured employee of a large national company, you can claim under the Federal Comcare scheme.

What types of work injuries can I claim workers' compensation for?

The compensation and benefits you are entitled to can vary greatly depending on the seriousness of your injury and the law under which you're covered.

As well as workplace accidents, you may also be able to claim compensation for a recurrence, aggravation, acceleration, exacerbation or deterioration of any pre-existing injuries or diseases impacted by your work. Injuries including cancers, strokes, asthma, heart conditions and degenerative conditions are often made worse by employment.

In some states you may be able to claim for injuries sustained during a normal recess, such as lunchtime or morning and afternoon tea breaks.

As long as you can show some relationship between your employment and the injury, you may be able to claim compensation.

How long do I have to claim?

Time limits vary under the different state and federal laws. It's important to report your injury to your work and the workers' compensation authority that covers you as soon as possible—usually within 30 days—once you've become aware of your injury. This includes completing a claim form and getting a medical certificate.

The actual legal process may take up to several years, especially if you have to wait for injuries to stabilise. It’s important you talk with a lawyer if you’re unsure about the amount of time you have to claim, even if it has been more than 30 days since you were injured.

How do I claim workers' compensation?

To make a claim you should:

  1. report your injury to your employer within 30 days of becoming aware of the injury
  2. complete a workers' compensation claim form
  3. get a workers' compensation medical certificate
  4. make sure to keep copies of the claim form and medical certificate and give the originals to your employer as soon as possible
  5. make sure your employer signs and dates the form on the day you provide it to them
  6. lodge a copy of the claim form with the workers' compensation authority.

Our work-related injury experts can give you more information about the claim process.

How much workers' compensation will I get?

We can't tell how much you will get without your specific information. However, you may receive payments that are equal to a percentage of your weekly earnings, along with payment for all reasonable medical and associated expenses.

Can I claim a lump sum?

You can claim a lump sum for permanent impairment. Generally, a claim cannot be made within 12 months of the injury and not before the injury is stable. The lump sum amount will depend on your impairment level, date of injury, and the law that covers your workers' compensation.

What expenses are covered and benefits am I entitled to?

All 'reasonable' expenses are covered by workers' compensation for services related to:

  • medical, hospital and nursing
  • personal and household
  • occupational
  • rehabilitation
  • ambulance services.

Expenses such as doctors, chemists, physiotherapy and chiropractic bills are also covered.

Your workers' compensation authority may also approve payment for attendant care, modifications to a home or car, home help and transportation costs.

Can I also claim income protection through my super?

Yes, you can if you have taken out income protection that's part of your superannuation policy. Also, if you're forced out of your trade or job due to the injury, you may be entitled to a superannuation lump sum. It’s important to talk with a lawyer about how best to do this. We are experts in this area of law.

Our Process

Our Queensland team will assist you with your claim and ensure your know about your rights and entitlements.


Get in touch

Tell us your story, we're here to listen


Free first consultation

When we meet the initial consultation is free



We will manage all discussions with the insurer



We will process your payment as soon as we receive it

We are committed to helping you at a difficult time in your life

First free consultation

Obligation-free confidential consultation to access your claim

'No win, no fee'*

If your claim isn't successful you won't have to pay our fees

12 Queensland offices

Call one of our offices to speak with our Queensland lawyers

Can't visit one of our offices?

Speak to one of our lawyers to discuss your situation

It doesn’t cost you anything to know where you stand

Can we help?
Find an office near you
Your local office

Let us contact you

It doesn’t cost you anything to know where you stand

We take calls 24/7

Call us now
1800 305 568

Free Call

Find an office near you
Your local office

Let us contact you