Consumer protection

Your rights as a consumer

Making a product liability claim can be intimidating, especially when large organisations and insurance companies use legal jargon to confuse you. You have the right to expect that the products you use are not defective.

We've been representing people making claims like these for almost 100 years. We've helped many people—including a homeowner injured by a defective lift in her home, a dad injured by a defective bicycle, a woman struck by faulty automatic doors, and a glass that shattered in someone’s hand.

We fight for fair, and we'll work to get you the best result possible.

Why Maurice Blackburn?

Our consumer protection and product liability lawyers are experienced in helping people seek compensation for personal injury caused by defective products.

Our 'no win, no fee'* policy means that if we don't win, you don't pay our legal fees. We have offices in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Darwin and throughout Australia. Contact us today to find out how we can help you.

Dimi Ioannou

National Head of Public Liability and Consumer Protection, Melbourne

"It’s important that people know they are protected if something goes wrong through the negligence of someone else, and I pride myself on achieving a just outcome for those affected."

Trang van Heugten

Special Counsel, Melbourne

"I have a particular interest in a range of compensation matters, as well as in bringing claims for the survivors of childhood sexual abuse."

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I make a consumer protection compensation claim?

You may be eligible to consumer protection compensation if you or someone in your family has suffered injury, loss and damage because of a defective product.

Who can I claim consumer protection compensation against?

Under Australian Consumer Law manufacturers, importers or suppliers are held liable to consumers for loss or damage caused by a product safety defect. Goods are considered to be defective if the product is not fit for purpose.

What consumer protection compensation can I expect to receive for my claim?

Your compensation claim may cover:

  • pain, suffering and loss of enjoyment of life
  • replacement and repair costs
  • medical costs (including future costs)
  • lost income
  • home help and attendant care.

Can I represent myself when making a consumer protection claim?

Yes. However, consumer protection law is complicated.

It's important to get help from someone who understands the complexities of consumer protection law, with experience in your area. Maurice Blackburn Lawyers has all the resources and experience that come with being a national firm.

Contact us today to find out how we can help you.

How do I make a consumer protection compensation claim?

If you are injured as a result of a defective product, you should:

  • seek medical treatment and tell your doctor how you were injured
  • keep records and receipts for any damages, wages lost and for medical and related expenses, including the dates of medical consultations
  • take photos of the faulty product and retain the product
  • take photos of your injuries
  • contact us to discuss your claim

How long do I have to make a consumer protection claim?

Generally, you have three years from the date of the injury to bring a claim. It is six years if you are under 18 years of age.

Actions must be taken within 10 years from the purchase of the product.

How long does a consumer protection compensation claim take?

Your claim may take up to several years to complete, especially if you need to wait for injuries to stabilise.

No win, no fee*

Our consumer protection lawyers are experienced in winning fair compensation for our clients on a no win, no fee basis.

Our fees and agreements

It doesn’t cost you anything to know where you stand

Can we help?
Find an office near you
Your local office

Let us contact you

It doesn’t cost you anything to know where you stand

We take calls 24/7

Call us now
1800 305 568

Free Call

Find an office near you
Your local office

Let us contact you