Abuse lawyers

Sexual, physical and institutional abuse

If you have suffered from sexual or physical abuse, no amount of financial redress can take away the pain caused. In many cases of abuse the injuries can be severe and long-lasting, often staying with survivors throughout their lifetime. However, you may be entitled to compensation to support you.

Abuse claim lawyers

Our expert abuse claims lawyers can help you get the compensation you deserve. Our dedicated team understand the difficulties you are facing, and will make sure the process is as simple as possible.

Specially trained in trauma-informed practice, our lawyers and support staff will approach your personal injury claim in a respectful, discreet manner to ensure your specific needs are met.

Maurice Blackburn has experience managing claims for clients who were subjected to abuse within organisations including churches, church- and state-run institutions, public and private schools, youth and sporting clubs, foster homes, reformatory schools and prisons.

This blog will help you understand your legal options.

We offer 'no win, no fee'* arrangements for these types of cases, which means that you don’t have to pay for our legal services if we don't win.

Maurice Blackburn Lawyers has offices in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Darwin and throughout Australia. Contact Maurice Blackburn for more information. Contact us today to find out more about the redress scheme and how we can help.

Changes to Victorian legislation

In June 2019, the Victorian Government announced changes to legislation that significantly improves the rights of survivors to seek adequate compensation for the horrific abuse they suffered at the hands of institutions. This change means abuse survivors previously paid off in paltry sums by institutions will be able to go back and claim proper amounts of compensation.

Find out more by calling us today.

Institutional abuse - Federal redress scheme

The National Redress Scheme has been set up to provide compensation and acknowledge the harm suffered by victims of institutional sexual abuse. Our lawyers can provide advice about your legal options.

The Redress Scheme is not your only avenue for compensation. You can apply for compensation directly from the institution where the abuse occurred. You may still be able to seek compensation from the Redress Scheme after you have received compensation directly from an institution.

Speak to one of our abuse lawyers today to understand your rights.

Dimi Ioannou

National Head of Public Liability and Consumer Protection, Melbourne

"It’s important that people know they are protected if something goes wrong through the negligence of someone else, and I pride myself on achieving a just outcome for those affected."

Trang van Heugten

Special Counsel, Melbourne

"I have a particular interest in a range of compensation matters, as well as in bringing claims for the survivors of childhood sexual abuse."

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I make a claim for abuse compensation?

It doesn’t cost you anything to know where you stand. Your first consultation with Maurice Blackburn’s abuse lawyers is free, and we will provide expert legal advice as to whether you have a case.

What is the legal process for claiming abuse compensation?

Laws in states and territories differ across Australia, so the claim process will be different depending on the situation and location of your case. Seeking legal advice as soon as you feel able to is recommended so that you know where you stand. Our expert and trauma informed practice trained lawyers will guide you through the steps needed, making the process as simple and stress free as possible.

Do time limits apply for abuse claims?

The laws have recently changed in some states so that time limits no longer apply. In other states, a time limit will apply in most cases. Speak to one of our expert abuse lawyers to find out where you stand.

No win, no fee*

Our abuse lawyers are experienced in winning fair compensation for our clients on a no win, no fee basis.

Our fees and agreements

It doesn’t cost you anything to know where you stand

Can we help?
Find an office near you
Your local office

Let us contact you

It doesn’t cost you anything to know where you stand

We take calls 24/7

Call us now
1800 305 568

Free Call

Find an office near you
Your local office

Let us contact you